Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Associating Metadata with Content

On Oct 25, 2006, at 10:23 AM, Patrick Durusau wrote:

> In your proposal you do note this in one of the more difficult
> issues. ;-)

Yes! Important to point out that this part is so drafty and
incomplete I'd not even dignify it with the word "propoosal" :-)

> My impresssion from prior discussions was that metadata was going
> to be held in a separate file (a good thing I think).
>
> It maybe that I am being mislead by the examples but it looks like
> you are suggesting that metadata be embedded in content nodes. Yes?

This is the part I'm struggling with frankly (it's not easy to design
this well). Am totally open to suggestions.

Having some good use cases to test against is helpful here. I'll talk
about the citation case, but maybe you can bring in your use case
here Patrick so we can see if we can work it out.

> Seems to be better to allow a single location for that metadata and
> for it to point in some fashion to all the content to which it
> applies. Saves space (a point that is made in another standard
> about such mechanisms) and is easier to update.

I agree. The trick is just how to do this in a general way. It's hard!

> Not an issue we will settle today, need to schedule pointing/
> associating/etc. metadata for a day on its own I expect.

Correct.