Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Our discussion on the Wiki example

On Dec 4, 2006, at 2:49 PM, Svante Schubert wrote:

> The question now, how can this this referenced and written in RDF in
> the meta package?

It's not hard at all. The question is the granularity with which you
want the content to be able to be tagged.

> Are the meta:class referencing to XPATH expression similar to the
> XFORMs approach in ODF?

No XPATH needed here. RDFa really does provide all we need for this
example.

There are resources and properties; URIs and literals. Nothing else.
Again, the example that you posted makes no distinctions here;
everything is encoded using a class attribute.

So it should be (in RDFa):

<text:p meta:about="myBook">
My favorite books is from
    <text:span meta:property="http://ex.net/author";
meta:href="http://ex.net/people/Tolkien";>Tolkien</text:span>! <!--
because an author really ought to be a resource -->
It's ISBM is
    <text:span meta:property="http://ex.net/ISBN";>8th</text:span>
it has
     <text:span meta:property="http://ex.net/pages";>1154</text:span>
pages
</text:p>

Or if you like in the other scenario:

<text:p xml:id="myBook">
My favorite books is from Tolkien! It's ISBM is 8th it has 1154 pages
</text:p>

... and in the RDF/XML:

<rdf:Description rdf:about="content.xml#myBook">
   <ex:author rdf:resource="http://ex.net/people/Tolkien"/>
   <ex:isbn>8th</ex:isbn>
   <ex:pages>1154</ex:pages>
</rdf:Description>

The first approach offers more granularity within the content file. You
could imagine that might have benefits for users (say they hover over
the author reference, and more information pops up about them), even if
it would require some UI cleverness to make it easy to add or edit the
content. But this is why I favor the hybrid (RDFa-inspired + RDF/XML)
approach.

> PS: I think we are going the right way now. I will collect the
> different low-level requirements and design scenarios for the wiki
> tomorrow, I have to leave now.

Sounds good.