Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Some implementation drafts aside of RDFa

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> On Dec 12, 2006, at 5:27 PM, Svante Schubert wrote:
>
>>> I think you're confusing the issues here. I'd prefer to talk about
>>> the model (the RDF triples) and how to bind statements to content
>>> nodes.
>>>
>> But don't you see, the xml:id is a very simply way to be able to
>> identify a content, to which metadata will be related to.
>
> The problem is the model: you are not defining what *kind* of content.
> An xml:id attribute identifies a resource; not a property. And we need
> to distinguish them.
Of course we need to distinguish, but certainly not in the content
itself, as the content might have many *kind* of content, like it might
be seen from different views.
What are the others thinking about this design question?

>> Yes or we provide a reference when the information resides outside
>> the package
>> But how do you connect these schema information with content &
>> metadata? Why not taking ideas - as the introduced bindings - from
>> XForms, which is already W3C standard?
> 2) you include it in the package
>
> We are relying on a W3C standard here: RDF.
So do we, when using xml:id, meta:binding and RDF. What do you think are
the Pro (and the Con) from RDFa against this?

> This is why I keep saying: think about the model. If I have this:
>
> <owl:DatatypeProperty rdf:about="http://ex.net/event#date";>
>   <rdfs:range rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#date"/>
>   <rdfs:label xml:lang="en">date</rdfs:label>
> </owl:DatatypeProperty>
>
> ... it can be represented in N3 as:
>
> <http://ex.net/event#date> a owl:DatetypeProperty ;
>     rdfs:range <http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#date> ;
>     rdfs:label "date"@en .
>
> OK, keep in mind the triples (three of them), and keep in mind the URI
> there.
>
> Now, you assign a property to a node using the same URI.
>
> <text:span
> meta:property="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#date";>...</text:span>
>
> So what's the problem? You are in fact in that process associated a
> statement about the datatype to that content node.
>
> The groups at the W3C are charged with integrating their efforts. This
> is why, of course, XForms builds off of XSD. Likewise, RDF also
> incorporates aspects of other specs, including the work on data-typing
> in XSD.
>
> Let's use that work rather than invent non-standard mechanisms to
> achieve the same thing?
You rather would reuse non standard mechanisms as RDFa?

>> Looks fine for common datatypes, but what about validating that my
>> invitation meta data in the content, which has to have a date and
>> location?
>
> You can use a standard cardinality property from OWL if you like:
>
> <owl:DatatypeProperty rdf:about="http://ex.net/event#date";>
>   <rdfs:range rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#date"/>
>   <rdfs:label xml:lang="en">date</rdfs:label>
>   <owl:cardinality>1</owl:cardinality>
> </owl:DatatypeProperty>
>
> Am just trying to emphasize there are a variety of ways to achieve this.
But you just archieved the restriction of a single content not of the of
the invitation, just of a datatype.

> I imagine you could also use XForms as well; maybe even converting the
> output (using XSLT) to the RDF if you want.
>
> Bruce

Regards,