Subject: Is this the use case for RDFa?

Greetings!

Still reviewing all the posts in preparation for today's meeting and
may, emphasis on may, have a little better understanding of why Bruce
and Elias are advocating an RDFa (although specified in ODF) approach.

Consider that I have a subject, one of John's patients and what follows
in the document are a number of statements about that patient.

If I use the xml:id approach to mark the patient, in this case, say
file there are other statements about this patient, omitted here for
medical privacy reasons, ;-), the question is how do those properties
"roll up" to be associated with that subject?

Is that an accurate statement?

But, if I use an rdf:about attribute on a container, then those later
statements, according to RDFa will "roll up" to that subject?

Hmmm, that sounds to me like a question of how the properties that
represent the object and predicate of the triple are to be associated
with the property that identifies the subject.

And the argument that I understand Elais and Bruce to be making is that
the "roll up" is easy enough to see with the RDFa approach, whereas
using xml:id requires additional mechanisms. But both are representing
the same information.

Interesting.

Which sheds some light on Elias's position on non-duplication of
content. It is "re-use" of the content inline so as to not replicate it
in the metadata file. But I suppose nothing prevents an application that
mandates external storage only, from transforming the "inline" metadata
into metadata in one or more metadata files.

Thinking of the use case where metadata is not shared on the transfer of
the document.

Oh, and thinking about the enhanced search case, note that for the
general case, declaring a vocabulary for a document, all we need to be
able to do is point from the metadata file to a declaration of that
vocabulary. Doesn't really matter where or how it is held, although I do
think we need to specify at least one encoding for such files.

The closer case to being relevant here is how do we point out if a term
uses a particular vocabulary or has a meaning that is not consistent
with the vocabulary declared for the document? Obviously the xml:id
mechanism isn't going to be much help here, unless we say that the
pointing to a vocabulary is done in the metadata file and that any
specialized term is pointed to from that file via the xml:id mechanism.

Hope this helps clarify and doesn't confuse the issues!

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau