Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Metadata text fields

Bruce,

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> Svante,
>
> On Feb 22, 2007, at 10:02 AM, Svante Schubert wrote:
>
>> Scenario 1 - meta:text-set
>> This field sets a text as meta data (literal) and was named analog to
>> other ODF fields consisting of a 'set' postfix. There could be
>> certainly other names for this field being proposed.
>>
>> It is used, when in-content metadata should be attached to text, in
>> other words when a text in the content is equal to the literal in the
>> metadata. This text might be editable or read-only - that's an
>> Office implementation detail.
>
> It is, though I think part of the point of allowing in-content
> literals is precisely because they are user-editable. That's the point.
Correct, but it is application specific how you set the value, by a
additional pop-up window or even in the text.

>> However, there might be a plug-in that provides a user interface that
>> is customized for the mata data that shall be added.
>
> Try to be specific: you mean properties, yes? And "added" to what?
> Subject-predicate-object is useful for natural language too ;-)
The plug-in might provide a special user interface, e.g. like a pop-up
window and takes care about the content of the meta text field.
The metadata is usually "added" using RDFa as the plug-in has a certain
view on the given text, but further RDF statements might relate by using
the (currently) meta:id attribute of the field.
Does this answer your question?

>> This plug-in has furthermore the responsibility to keep the literal
>> consistent with further metadata in the document (e.g. RDF/XML).
>
> This is where the confusion keeps coming in. There's no need to be
> "consistent" here because the in-content text *is* the literal.
> There's nothing to be consistent with.
Unfortunately there is no guarantee that the RDF statement - where the
literal is part as the RDF object - is unique in-content only.
Aside of an usage in RDF/XML, there might be even the same in-content
RDF statement a couple of times in the document. I would optimistically
assume that if you change one, you change them all.

>> The text can be formatted in various ways, e.g. in a text "Patrick
>> Durusau" the capital letter might have a different color and therefore
>> the text might consist of various ODF elements.
>> The RDF object literal would be created by concatenating all text nodes
>> together.
>
> So you mean, what is the content of the literal, where you have a
> situation like ...

>     about="http://ex.net/1"; property="foaf:name">Patrick <span
> style="italic">Durusau</span></span>
>
> ...?
>
> You are proposing simply that it be the string "Patrick Durusau". So
> we define the content of in-content literals as a string, rather than
> an XML literal say.
>
> This is indeed something we need to decide.
Yes, we might want to keep it simple and avoid these problems by
introducing a meta text field, from where we assume that text meta data
is being 'attached' to.

>> Furthermore there might be different nested meta:text-set fields. The
>> example above might consist of three fields for name "Patrick",
>> "Durusau" and "Patrick Durusau".
>
> I think for the case of *literals* this raises the question -- which
> Elias asked -- of whether we really want to constrain the attribues to
> some new field, since the problem here will be more of a UI problem
> than an XML one.
>
> E.g. I'm not sure what constraining the attributes to a new field
> gives us that allowing them on spans (or, say, table cells) would not?
It gives us a good start for an implementation.

>> The new meta text field makes it easy for an ODF application to
>> distinguish text portion, which have to be kept consistent with other
>> metadata and should be made read-only, if no RDF application is
>> available to guarantee consistency.
>
> As I mentioned above, I think the read-only possibility would only
> likely accompany cases of object resources, and "consistency" isn't
> really relevant here (nor in our requirements anywhere).
>
> So I wonder why we don't forget about this field, and just allow the
> literal pattern to appear on some specific list of elements? We might,
> then ....
Possibly his has clarified as your opinion about consistency might have
changed.

>> Scenario 2 - meta:text-get
>> This field displays a label generated from a RDF application
>> (plug-in) based on existing metadata in the content.
>
> ... have one new field whose job it is to display information about
> *resources*.
>
> I want to say in my document that Patrick is the author, but I have
> Patrick vCard record already in RDF/XML in the package, so I do
> something like:

>     meta:about="urn:uuid:8134713815475740574" <!-- document URI -->
>     meta:property="dc:creator"
>     meta:resource="http://ex.net/people#patrick";>Patrick
> Durusau</mta:field>
Can you give me the RDF triples you are telling here and do you refer to
the RDF/XML spec when you talk about a resource? Any link?
Would not be one triple sufficient for the beginning?