Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Linking in a vocabulary

Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net> wrote on 05/04/2007 09:21:56 AM:

> Greetings!
>
> I am starting to work on an example of linking in a vocabulary that is
> slightly different that the one John Madden is working on.
>
> Briefly what I want to do is have an RDF vocabulary (either locally or
> remote) that I use without inline markup to define terms in a text.
>
> I assume that I should use the content.xml file as the object of my
> first triple, which associates the RDF vocabulary with the entire
> document. (Where there are exceptions, that is a term should be defined
> by another vocabulary, I would have to distinguish that term with inline
> association with another vocabulary.)

That's perfectly fine. Just use the URI from the metadata manifest of the
resource of type m:ContentFile.

> First question: Does anyone have an RDF vocabulary that specifies a
> variety of forms of a term to recognize? In other words, upper/lower
> case, plural form, etc.

WordNet is the only thing that comes to mind. I think you could take a few
of those predicates and run with them.

http://www.w3.org/TR/wordnet-rdf/

If not, just make a couple of up. <urn:durusau.net:terms:upper> ...

> Second question: How do I say that a term that is defined by more
> specific metadata, through inline metadata association, should use that
> triple and not the more general one that would apply to the document as
> a whole? (Or is that something that we need to say in the proposal? That
> inline metadata trumps vocabulary metdata applied to the document as a
> whole? Well, more formally than that but you get the idea.)

I don't think anything trumps anything. At the end, all we are doing is
generating triples from all of the places in our package. We can have some
provenance of where each triple came from, but they can all co-exist in a
single graph. It really depends on your use, which trumps which. No
normative trumping in our spec.

However, I'd need more help understanding your scenario because it's a bit
too high level for me at this point. Could you try first to give us some
sample data you are trying to model and then we can figure out how to use
the spec to encode it?

> Hope everyone is looking forward to a great weekend!

Lots of home projects. Yeah!