Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Suggested Changes on the Metadata proposal

On 6/27/07, Svante Schubert <Svante.Schubert@sun.com> wrote:
Greetings!

here an updated list of issues to be discussed and editorial changes.

New suggested of changes to be discussed

VI) Dropping non modification requirement
"Metadata files should not be modified unless the content of the
metadata file is changed.

This sentence describes application behavior. The described behavior is
moreover not essential, nor do we have something similar for ODF
content, like keeping the XML structure, when the document is not being
changed.

Virtually every section of the specification describes application behavior. That is an irrelevant factor. Moreover, the described behavior is essential for round-trip intoperability purposes. And the fact that we have no equivalent requirement for maintaining the XML structure counsels that we create such a requirement; it is not a justification for breaking interoperability in another area.

This suggestion should be withdrawn unless you can provide a more compelling justification for it.