Subject: Describing ODF nodes in OWL

Hi,

Recently Bruce asked on this list for a way to identify ODF meta field
in an RDF/XML file using RDF type.
Taken this as a valid request, the basic question is:
If we need to describe characteristics of ODF nodes in OWL and/or RDFS,
what should we use for the URI? Is it OK to use the existing namespaced
node name?

Some full example taking place in an ODF package to make sure the
problem is clear.
Imagine in the content.xml there would be a paragraph containing a citation:

<text:p>According to
<text:meta-field xml:id=”someID”>
<text:span text:style-name=”s1”>[2]</text:span>
</text:meta-field>
</text:p>

The metadata manifest snippet relates the element ID and file path to an
RDF IRI

<odf:ContentFile pkg:path="content.xml">
<pkg:hasPart>
<odf:Element rdf:about="uri:someIRI" pkg:idref="someID"/>

Now the most interesting part.
The snipped of RDF/XML user data can be written as typed node elements
[1] in various ways:

<rdf:Description rdf:about="uri:someIRI">
<rdf:type
rdf:resource="http://docs.oasis-open.org/opendocument/meta/package/odf#Element"/>
<rdf:type
rdf:resource="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:text:1.0meta-field"/>
<cite:hasStyle>
<citeStyle:IEEE>
or
<odf:Element rdf:about="uri:someIRI">
<rdf:type
rdf:resource="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:text:1.0meta-field"/>
<cite:hasStyle>
<citeStyle:IEEE>
or
<text:meta-field rdf:about="uri:someIRI">
<rdf:type
rdf:resource="http://docs.oasis-open.org/opendocument/meta/package/odf#Element"/>
<cite:hasStyle>
<citeStyle:IEEE>

By doing this a text:meta-field element could appear in the RDF/XML,
which should not behave as a text:meta-field, but is only representing
it in the metadata graph.

I see the following Pro/con:

Con:
It might be confusing to see a text:meta-field in a RDF/XML file, which
is not really an ODF field, but only an RDF node representing it.
But as long the context of being an RDF/XML file is clear there is no
problem.

Pro:
In case we would use the similar namespace and localname of the ODF
element as RDF type we would have a generic mechanism for all ODF elements.
We would avoid a further level of complexity.
It would be clear to the user/machine reading the RDF/XML file, what we
are describing, we do not have to invent a second IRI for each ODF element.

What does the group think about this problem?

Regards,
Svante.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-syntax-grammar/#section-Syntax-typed-nodes

--
Sun Microsystems GmbH           Svante Schubert
Nagelsweg 55                    Software Engineer

Sitz der Gesellschaft:
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028