Subject: Re: [office] New member to the "Open Office XML Format TC"

On Friday 14 February 2003 20:02, you wrote:
> The first is meta data. There is general agreement that the current OOo
> meta data is not sufficient, and that meta data should be extensible
> with a defined core (or must-have) set of meta data elements. The
> remaining question(s) are on how to extend, and which core elements.

I assume this is about document-level meta data (name of creator, etc.)
KOffice currently has the following items
(see http://www.koffice.org/DTD/document-info-1.2.dtd)

In the "about the author" part:
    (full-name?, title?, company?, email?, telephone?, fax?, country?, postal-code?, city?, street?)

In the "about the document" part: an optional title for the document, and an optional abstract.
    (abstract?, title?)

Where all the tags above that are not explicitly defined are simply (#PCDATA) elements.

Missing things include: keywords, and maybe some sort of a "log" part,
for people to add items like ChangeLog entries. But maybe this can be
better handled as part of the "change tracking" stuff, which we don't have yet.

Comparing to the OO format: many thing in <office:meta> are interesting.
I think the distinction between author info and document info could be made
though, for a cleaner result. I also wonder if the stuff we have with all the
coordinates of the author is really ever used, but that's hard to say. But
I think that at least the company name, email and telephone could be useful,
e.g. in a big company.

I also wonder which one of the dublin core elements matches the notion of
an "abstract" of the document, I didn't find any at first look. The difference
with keywords is that an abstract is formed of actual sentences; the different
with subject is that it might be the 'question' which the document answers,
whereas an abstract actually contains a short 'answer' to that question...

The OO documentation doesn't detail the meaning of all the meta:* attributes
of <office:meta> ... What's auto-reload? hyperlink-behaviour?
What exactly is in document-statistics?
It seems to me that the first two are settings more than metadata about the
document...

> My favorite for the extension is to ask applications to update the meta
> data they know, and to preserve all other content of <office:meta>.

Sure.
(Well, to be implemented, of course, but this sounds sensible)

> The other issue that came up was a brief discussion about whether to
> allow multiple <office:body> elements in a single document. I seem to
> recall KOffice has a mode in which several runs of text co-exist in a
> single document. This might be a candidate use-case for multiple body
> elements, although I believe the existing text boxes are a better match
> for this capability.

Yes, we base a lot on text boxes, so this would be a much better solution IMHO.
It provides more information than multiple body elements, e.g. where to lay out
the text... I think it would simply lack structure, if multiple bodies were defined
without any further information on their relation to each other.

The mode you're referring to is what we call "DTP mode" ... but we're talking
about merging this mode into the normal mode. Basically it's just about showing
the frame for page margins or not, there is no fundamental difference (rather:
there is now but there shouldn't).

- --
David FAURE, faure@kde.org, dfaure@klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
KOffice-1.2.1 is available - http://download.kde.org/stable/koffice-1.2.1/