Subject: Re: [office] Open Office XML Format TC Meeting Minutes 18/19 Feb 2003

At 11:28 2003 02 27 +0100, David Faure wrote:

>On Wednesday 26 February 2003 16:17, Michael Brauer wrote:
>
>> C) Attributes for paragraphs/character runs

>> - A "class" attribute will be added to all elements that reference a
>> style already. The value of this class attribute is a space separated
>> list of styles that are applied to the object additionally to the style
>> referenced by the "style-name" attribute. Formatting attributes
>> contained in styles referenced by the "class" attribute are evaluated in
>> the order the style names appear in the list. The style referenced by
>> the "style-name" attribute is treated like being the first style in the
>> list. Conforming application _should_ support this new attribute and
>> also _should_ preserve it while editing.
>
>The idea is that if a paragraph has class="P1 P2", the attributes of the P2
>style that will apply to the paragraph, are those that are not defined in P1,
>right?

I don't think so.  I'm expecting a semantic that matches
that for HTML/CSS's class/style concept (as well as XSLT's
attribute-set concept) whereby the attributes/properties
are "overlaid" and the last one wins.  So all P2 attributes
apply; what gets ignored would be the attributes in P1 that
are also defined in P2.

One of the goals of this decision was that we could use XSL
(and HTML/CSS) concepts to model this process.  If we use a
conflicting semantic, we will lose this benefit, so I'd want
to hear a very strong argument for doing something different
than what XSL, HTML/CSS does.

>> D) Character runs across paragraph boundaries
>> The TC unanimously agreed that the extensions mechanism defined in C)
>> can be used to support character runs across paragraph boundaries. Such
>> runs can be split at the paragraph boundaries, and an (user defined)
>> "id" attribute can be added to the style referenced by the two new runs
>> to specify that both runs actually are a single one.
>
>What's the reason for a character run across a paragraph boundary?

I think one example is if someone wants to highlight the last
sentence of one paragraph and the first sentence of the next
paragraph and then attach some style and/or metadata (e.g.,
say this text has been revised in the latest version).

paul