Subject: Fwd: Re: Fwd: [office] Proposal: Inclusion of user defined gradients using graphics/SVG in the Office specification

Date: Tuesday 10 June 2003 08:54
From: rwlbuis@xs4all.nl
To: "David Faure" <faure@kde.org>
Cc: buis@kde.org

Hi,

> Subject: [office] Proposal: Inclusion of user defined gradients using
> graphics/SVG in the Office specification
> Date: Monday 09 June 2003 21:45
> From: "Paul Langille" <Paul.Langille@corel.com>
> To: <office@lists.oasis-open.org>
>
> I propose keeping the existing gradient specification in it's current
> form. In order to allow others to extend this specification, we should
> add an attribute to allow users to create their own 'gradient' types. By
> allowing a vector format such as SVG to describe this gradient type, we
> can handle cases that we cannot previously predict. The changes to the
> format are:
>
> 1.	Add userdefinedgradient to the list of gradient-style that can
> be supported.
>
> 		*	<!ENTITY % gradient-style
> "(linear|axial|radial|ellipsoid|square|rectangular|userdefinedgradient)"

 Though I must say OO format already supports a lot of useful gradients, I
agree it may be useful to add user defined ones. For instance karbon may
have one slightly different standard gradient, though I think it can
perhaps be emulated by the rectangular gradient above.
 I am also bringing up mesh gradients. From what I know there is not
simply one color vector but a grid, not necesarily ordered. I am
wondering if this falls outside the scope of OO format? (Illustrator and
pdf have it, svg doesnt have it)

[point 2 and 3 snipped]

I must admit its quite abstract for me :) Can you give an example?
Cheers,

Rob.