Subject: empty rows/cells, etc.

Hi all,

I had a look at empty and incomplete table rows; in OOo Writer and Calc,
and in Mozilla Browser and Composer. Briefly said, the result is that
each application interprets empty and incomplete rows in a way
consistent with how the application operates.

OOo Calc has the typical spreadsheet structure, where the document is a
large (sort of infinite) table. Typically, the 'default' table extends
significantly beyond the used area, and contains empty cells. Calc (like
most spreadsheets) never abandons this table structure. Empty rows in
the format introduce a default row (just as in an empty sheet), and
incomplete rows are filled with empty cells (just like in an empty sheet).

All other applications have fixed size tables. Incomplete rows are
basically rendered as if they had the necessary number of empty cells;
same for empty rows. (Slightly more precise: A real empty cell has the
default cell padding, while an implied empty cells doesn't get any
padding.) An empty cell in Mozilla Navigator takes up no space, which
means that an empty row has no height. In Writer and Mozilla Composer,
an empty cell takes up the space of an empty paragraph, so that the user
could just click into it and fill the empty cell. So the difference in
this case appears not to be between HTML vs OOo format, but more between
viewer and editor.

Well... I don't really have a change proposal, since teh above makes
sense to me. I suggest that the spec have clear wording that empty or
incomplete rows are allowed.

Sincerely,
Daniel