Subject: Re: [office] SPEC: 14.2.15 First page number

David,

David Faure wrote:
> One question about this one: why does it state that it applies to spreadsheet documents
> only? I think it can be useful to create a word processing document that starts at page
> number 42, when the first 41 pages of the document are in another file.

The reason for mentioning spreadsheet documents here is that text
documents and spreadsheet document have different pagination concepts:

Within text documents, one usually specifies for a certain paragraph or
table that it should start with a certain page number. The attribute for
this is called style:page-number, and it can be used for paragraph or
table styles. To start a document with a certain page number, one has to
assign the style:page-numer attribute to the paragraph style that is
applied to the first paragraph of the document.

Within spreadsheet documents, the spreadsheets themselves do not contain
any pagination. Only when printing documents, the spreadsheets are
distributed over one or more pages. A page style that is assigned to the
spreadsheet contains the information that is required to do so, for
instance the information whether the pages should run from the top to
the bottom first or from the left to the right first. The
style:first-page-number here has the purpose to specify the number of
the first page of a spreadsheet.

> Can I suggest to remove "spreadsheet" from the description of 14.2.15 (style:first-page-number)?

We may of course remove the "spreadsheet" here and state that for text
documents, the specified page number will be used for the document's
first page, provided that this page is formatted according to the page
layout the attribute is contained in, but this change is not required
for the use case you have described.

Please let me know if you think we should change this anyway (until
Thursday evening, because we agreed that our voting will start on
Friday). I assume no one of the other TC members would have objections
to change this, so we might vote about this change together with our
committee draft voting.