Subject: Re: [office] Spec typo: 14.5.37 Writing Mode

Daniel,

David Faure wrote:
> On Friday 04 June 2004 13:11, Michael Brauer wrote:
>
>>The writing mode can also be specified within page layouts (see section
>>14.2.19). However the value "page" (or "auto") is not allowed here.
>>
>>A value "page"/"auto" that is specified for a paragraph means that the
>>writing mode that is specified for the page that conatins the paragraph
>>is used.
>

> Yes, I understand that. I just fail to see the point :)
> Why would someone write mostly left-to-right on one page, and mostly right-to-left on another one?
>
> I know that Hebrew and Arabic texts tend to mix LTR and RTL, but that's usually
> at the text spans level, rather than at the page level.

Most common example would be bi-lingual editions that have the
"original" text on one page and the "translation" on the facing page.

While in Greek/English, the "Flavius Philostratus: Heroikos" is an
example of that sort of publication.

Fairly common in biblical studies. Likely to have textual notes on both
sides in varying LTR and RTL, while the pages are mostly LTR or RTL
(depending on which text is the main component of that page).

Hope you are having a great day!

Director of Research and Development
Society of Biblical Literature
Patrick.Durusau@sbl-site.org