Subject: Proposal: XForms integration

Hi all,

I would like to propose integrating W3C XForms into the OASIS format.

The proposal itself is rather brief, since I'm not suggesting any
changes to W3C XForms, but rather to adopt the <xforms:model> as is.
XForms is designed to be embedded into other formats, where the rules
for the embedding are delegated to a 'host language'. The proposal
essentially defines such an embedding for XForms. The changes to the
OASIS format are rather minimal, mainly due to the fact that 1) we
already support a control/model separation similar to XForms, and 2) I
propose keeping our current set of controls.

I believe keeping the controls makes a lot sense, since 1) we have
already specified a complete set of controls, and 2) XForms employs an
<xforms:input> control which is intended to be rendered differently
depending on its run-time binding, which makes it hard (er, impossible,
actually) to keep a stable layout. This is of particular importance for
exchanging documents between implementations, in that we'd really want
documents to be rendered the same on different applications, which is
hard to do if one doesn't specify what a control is supposed to look like.

The list of changes thus boils down to:
1) allowing <xforms:model> inside <office:forms> elements.
2) allowing xforms:bind="..." attributes on controls
3) allowing xforms:submission="..." attributes on buttons

Sincerely,
Daniel

xforms-proposal.sxw