Subject: Proposal: draw aspect graphic properties

Dear TC members,

our specification already contains graphic properties that specify the
visible area of embedded objects, that is, the position and size of the
rectangle that is currently visible. The properties that specify this
visible area are "draw:visible-area-left", "draw:visible-area-top",
"draw:visible-area-width" and "draw:visible-area-height". They are
mainly used for OLE objects, where it is the embedding application that
has to maintain that information.

Another important information that is required when embedding OLE
objects is the draw aspect that is used to display the object. The draw
aspect controls whether the object is displayed as a normal sub
document, or whether the object is for instance displayed as an icon
only. Within the OLE API, the draw aspect is an unsigned integer value
that the host application passes to the object when it requests its
presentation. This means that it is the embedding application that has
to maintain the draw aspect, but not the OLE object itself.

To be able to store the draw aspect within office documents, I suggest
to add a draw:ole-draw-aspect graphic property to our specification that
takes a non negative integer value. This property has only a meaning for
objects that are embedded using the OLE API. In this case, it's value
specifies a default value for method calls that require a drawing
aspect. The interpretation of this integer value is left to the OLE
object's discretion and not part of our specification.