Subject: List styles

Dear TC members,

I did some investigations for list styles.

First of all I checked how a list styles can be switched off in a style
derived from a style that specifies a list style. It seems to me that
this is not possible at the moment. There is no attribute to do so, nor
can the style:list-style-name attribute be empty. Interestingly, the
OpenOffice.org application in fact has the issue that one may switch of
a list style in the UI for paragraph styles, but this situation
currently is lost when saving and reloading a file.

To resolve this issue in our specification, we either
a) could allow a style:list-style-name to be empty, or
b) we could add an attribute similar to the "text:enable-numbering" we
discussed last week, that in fact may have a better name.

I personally would prefer solution a) here.

We remaining issue is: If a graphic style contains a list style, and if
this list style is switched off in a derived style, can this style by
switched on in a further derived style again, and if so how. The
following solution came into my mind here:

c) The derived style may contain an empty <text:list-style> element. If
it is present, all style settings are inherited from the ancestor style
that defines a list style already.
d) The list style can be referenced by a "special" value of the
"style:list-style-name" attribute, like "*".
e) The list style can be referenced by a "special" value of the
"style:list-style-name" attribute, like "*", and in addition to this,
the embedded list style in general will only be evaluated if a
"style:list-style-name" attribute is present.
f) like a), that is, we add an attribute similar to the
"text:enable-numbering".