Subject: 2.8 Page Styles and Layouts (final note)

Greetings,

The final note in 2.8 Page Styles and Layouts reads:

The Open Office paging methodology differs significantly from the
methodology used in [XSL]. In XSL, headers and footers are contained
within page sequences that also contain the document content. The
content of headers and footers can be changed or omitted without
affecting the document content. In Open Office documents, headers and
footers are contained in page styles.

Comment:

The third sentence, "The content of headers and footers can be changed
or omitted without affecting the document content." applies equally to
XSL and Open Office, albeit for different reasons. If the focus is on
'paging methodology' doesn't the following suffice?

Suggest:

The Open Office paging methodology differs significantly from the
methodology used in [XSL]. In XSL, headers and footers are contained
within page sequences that also contain the document content. In Open
Office documents, headers and footers are contained in page styles.

Comment:

If we want to say something about the footers and headers, I would
suggest adding to what I wrote above (as the last sentence):

With either approach, the content of headers and footers can be changed
or omitted without affecting the document content.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Director of Research and Development
Society of Biblical Literature
Patrick.Durusau@sbl-site.org