Subject: [Fwd: clarification: OpenDocument and SVG]

Michael,

there seems to be some concern within the SVG group on how we are
referencing their anonymous attributes via the svg namespace.
See also http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2005Feb/0000.html

~Lars

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: clarification: OpenDocument and SVG
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 23:24:41 -0500
From: MenTaLguY <mental@rydia.net>
To: SVG List <www-svg@w3.org>, Jon Phillips <jon@rejon.org>
CC: Inkscape ML <inkscape-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>, dean@w3.org,
Lars.Oppermann@Sun.COM, Daniel Carrera <dcarrera@openoffice.org>

Jon, to restate the issue more concisely:

The OpenDocument specification, which is under consideration as an EU
standard[1], introduces a number of XML attributes into the SVG
namespace that are not part of the SVG standard.

For example, there is a non-standard svg:width attribute that is applied
to non-SVG elements to specify width[2].

My concern is that if OpenDocument gets standardized by the EU in its
current state, that would set a really ugly precedent for putting
non-standard extensions in W3C-specified namespaces.

I have gone ahead and CCed the SVG WG staff contact and the OpenDocument
Committee secretary.  Hopefully I've not wasted anyone's time, and they
can talk to the appropriate people in each group and put the issue to
rest quickly.

-mental

---

[1] http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20050130002908154

[2] The most recent draft of the OpenDocument specification (Dec 2004) I
could find is available here:

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/10765/office-spec-1.0-cd-2

Section 9.2 of the specification, which starts on page 275, is most
relevent.

Here is an example from section 9.2.1:

   <draw:rect svg:x="2cm" svg:y="3cm" svg:width="10cm" svg:height="20cm"
svg:transform="rotate(45)" draw:style-name="object-with-shadow">

(in this example the 'draw' prefix is bound to the
urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:drawing:1.0 namespace, and 'svg'
to the http://www.w3.org/2000/svg namespace)

--
Lars Oppermann <lars.oppermann@sun.com>               Sun Microsystems
Software Engineer - StarOffice                           Sachsenfeld 4

signature.asc