Subject: Re: [office] mime-types for OpenDocument

On Monday 09 May 2005 10:36, Lars Oppermann wrote:
> Hi Mary
>
> I'm, contacting you on behalf of the Open Office XML Format TC. We would
> like to start the registartion process for the mime-types that will be
> used along with the format.
>
> I have prepared an IANA registartion form for the desired mimetypes,
> which I am attaching to this mail. Please let me no, if there is
> anything else needed for the registration.

The "magic numbers" section is missing.

Using a syntax close to the file(1) command, OpenDocument files have the following 'magic' :

0    string   PK\003\004
>30  string   mimetype
>>38 string    vnd.oasis.opendocument.text
(or any other mimetype being registered here)

I.e. in plain english: the ZIP magic header "PK" followed by the byte values 3 and 4,
and at offset 30, the string "mimetype" followed by the actual mimetype of the document.