Subject: Re: meta:date vs. dc:~ in OpenDocument v1.0

On Monday 22 August 2005 13:59, Besten, Jens wrote:
> Hello David,
>
> after reading the OpenDocument Specification I am lost at one point. I am a
> technical writer for a software company in Cologne, Germany.
>
> My troubles deal with the meta:date Element/Attribute and the dc:date
> Element.
>
> In schema line 669 (page 59) I read: <attribute name="meta:date"> so I think
> "meta:date" is an attribute. But on page 120 I read "This element displays
> the information from the <meta:date> element." . So suddenly meta:date is
> referenced as an element.

meta:date is an attribute. There is a mistake in the paragraph that you quote, then.
I am cc'ing the technical committee so that they note that this paragraph must be fixed.

> And, completing the chaos, there is also - and
> perhaps more important - the <dc:date> - Element, so that meta-date appears
> to be redundant.

meta:date seems to be used inside the meta:template element, whereas dc:date
is the much more generic "date of this document" value. I am not sure why
meta:template uses meta:date though, hopefully someone from the committee will know.

> All in all a good job, we are thinking about joining the OpenDocument
> movement.

This is good to hear!