Subject: Accessibility Sub Committee

Dear TC members,

one of the suggestions of the OpenDocument Summit in Amonk regarding the
OpenDocument TC is to create an accessibility sub committee. While there
are other suggestions that we may want to discuss in the TC, I propose
that we care about this suggestion first.

The formation of a subcommittee is described in section 2.14 of the
OASIS Technical Committee Process:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.php#2.14

Below is a proposal for a charter for an Accessibility Sub Committee
(ASC). It to the best of my knowledge covers what has been discussed so
far regarding accessibility of the OpenDocument file format itself, and
what also is in the scope of our TC's charter.

What we may want to discuss in our con call on Monday is not only the
founding of an Accessibility Sub Committtee itself, but also who should
be involved in the ASC, and a schedule for the foundation of the sub
committee. We may also discuss whether it is required or reasonable to
have a con call with accessibility experts prior to the foundation of an
Accessibility Sub Committee.

OpenDocument Accessibility Sub Committee (ASC) Draft Charter

Statement of purpose
--------------------
1.To liaise with the disability community to gather accessibility
   related feedback on the OpenDocument v1.0 specification.
2.To gather accessibility related feedback from implementors of
   accessible applications that implement OpenDocucument v1.0.
3.To produce a formal accessibility evaluation of the OpenDocument v1.0
   file format.

Deliverables
------------
1.A formal accessibility evaluation of the OpenDocument v1.0
   specification.
2.A (possibly empty) list of accessibility information that is not
   defined in OpenDocument v1.0, and whose absence makes it impossible
   for applications to implement accessibility enhancements.

Scope of work
The subcommittee's work is to ensure that OpenDocument schema allows to
store the information that is required by applications aimed at allowing
people with disabilities to access properly the content of OpenDocument
documents.

Manner and schedule of work