Subject: Re: [office] Text Object position

Hi,

Florian Reuter wrote On 11/30/05 19:00,:
> Hi David,

> First I liked the idea, because its technically very easy to implement
> this feature.
> But thinking a little about this issue I would like to suggest a
> different way to approach the "high sophisticated layout mechanisms" in
> OpenDocument.
> Speaking from the point of a user we have an application A, which
> supports layout feature f and an application B, which doesn't. When
> writing the coordinates of f to the file, B could display the position
> of f correctly, but B is still not able to e.g. save it, modify it,
> recalculating it. In general I think writing the coordinates of f to the
> file will only delay the user problems.

Another problem is that the position of a text box may depend on other
features that an application may support or not. If an application for
instance does not support certain line spacing options, then the text may be
distributed to pages differently than in the application that stored the
position. For a paragraph anchored text box using a page position may than
lead to an entirely wrong result.

And there in another problem: What happens if an application does not
calculate the position of text boxes at all, for instance because it does not
display the document to the user?