Subject: Re: [office] OpenDocument TC Meeting Minutes 2005-12-05

On Wednesday 07 December 2005 11:49, Florian Reuter wrote:
> With this assumptions there are two cases:
> a) The OpenDocument user applied the feature on purpose. Then doing the
> x/y stuff will not help him.
> b) The OpenDocument user applied the feature on accident. Then the
> application should help him choosing the right feature for his purpose
> (e.g. interoperability), which leads me to the topic of an "tidy
> OpenDocument".

I disagree. Please refer to the 114287-oneframe.odt document that I attached to a previous mail.
I would say that it doesn't matter to the user that the frame is anchored to a paragraph
or to the page (in this document, I don't mean in all cases). What matters is that the
textbox is on the left of the text. Other applications reading this document should position
the textbox on the left of the text, otherwise it will be VERY obvious to the user that
something went wrong in the conversion.
The x/y stuff helps doing that; it helps other applications to show the document as it
was intended. It doesn't matter if the user applied the "anchor to paragraph" on
purpose or on accident, that's an internal detail which might only matter if further editing
is going to be made (which isn't always the case); what matters first is how the document
looks when someone else opens it. Of course it would be better to get both things
right (viewing and editing), but this is only possible with a full-featured office suite doing
the editing, obviously.