Subject: XMP and OpenDocument Metadata

Greetings!

I am not quite ready to post a full response to Alan's ideas on XMP and
OpenDocument metadata but I did want to outline some thoughts about how
to evaluate those ideas.

First, I am preparing a mapping of OpenDocument metadata to the XMP
schemas and should have that posted to the group by  Saturday or Sunday.
I was hoping to finish it today but I am leaving for New York at mid-day
and won't have time to finish it before I leave. Some of the schemas,
where there is no mapping, I will just refer to by name.

Second, I would note that backward compatibility, something Alan
mentions specifically in his post, is a concern for OpenDocument as
well. If we were to adopt a new metadata syntax, such as XMP or some
other syntax, I don't doubt that the new metadata would be more
compatible with applications looking for that syntax, but it would be
less compatible with applications that use the existing syntax.

Since I haven't finished the mapping I can't say for sure but it seems
to me that it should be possible to define a "read-as" for the
OpenDocument metadata that presents it as a subset of the XMP metadata
in RDF serialization. Rather than breaking backward compatibility for
applications that use the current OpenDocument syntax, such a mechanism
would (outside of the OpenDocument schema proper) enable other
applications to read OpenDocument metadata as though it conformed to
XMP. A similar approach could be used to read OpenDocument metadata as
conforming to other metadata standards.

The XMP documentation is quite readable (kudos to the Adobe
documentation writers!) and I commend it to all TC members.

Apologies for the short response to such a comprehensive posting.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Patrick@Durusau.net
Member, Text Encoding Initiative Board of Directors, 2003-2005