Subject: XMP Metadata and Open Document Format

Greetings!

I have not been able to complete my comparison of XMP and ODF metadata
but I do have a preliminary mapping.

I followed and cited the ODF specification sections for ease of
reference. I have listed the nearest XMP equivalent following "=>." The
emphasis should be on "nearest XMP equivalent" due to differences in
metadata models.

3.1.1 meta:generator => xmp:CreatorTool

3.1.2 dc:title => dc:title

3.1.3 dc:description => dc:description

3.1.4 dc:subject => dc:subject

3.1.5 meta:keyword => no nearest XMP equivalent

3.1.6 meta:initial-creator => no nearest XMP equivalent

3.1.7 dc:creator => dc:creator

3.1.8 meta:printed-by => no nearest XMP equivalent

3.1.9 meta:creation-date => xmp:CreateDate

3.1.10 dc:date => dc:date

(Seems to me that dc:date in ODF includes the xmp:MetadataDate and
xmp:ModifyDate.)

3.1.11 meta:print-date => no nearest XMP equivalent

3.1.12 meta:template => no nearest XMP equivalent

(Note that meta:template provides attributes for: template location,
template title, template modification date and time.)

3.1.13 meta:auto-reload => no nearest XMP equivalent

3.1.14 meta:hyperlink-behavior => no nearest XMP equivalent

3.1.15 dc:language => dc:language

3.1.16 meta:editing-cycles => no nearest XMP equivalent

3.1.17 meta:editing-duration => no nearest XMP equivalent

3.1.18 meta:document-statistic => The XMP Paged-Text Schema does provide
for xmpTPg:NPages to provide page count but there is no equivalent to
the remaining 18 attributes in meta:document-statistic. (I counted
meta:page-count only once even though it also appears in spreadsheet and
graphic.)

3.2 meta:user-defined => I don't see the creation of custom schemas
and/or extending schemas as really being equivalent here. In part
because the meta:user-defined is more constrained than the more general
model of XMP customization/extension.

Unless otherwise noted, I don't think that ODF directly supports the
remaining metadata specified by the XMP document.

BTW, where XMP says that dc:subject is a bag (RDF), ODF provides that
the dc:subject element can simply be repeated. (The repeatability of
dc:subject is a characteristic of all ODF metadata elements.) That
leaves it up to the application as to how it will read multiple
instances of that element. I read that to mean that an application could
read multiple dc:subject elements as an RDF bag, should it choose to do so.

What I have not satisfied myself on is the question of whether the
metadata that is not supported by ODF could be represented with
meta:user-defined. That will require my going though all the XMP
metadata along with the values type allowed for optional meta:type
attribute on user defined metadata to see if float, date, time, boolean
and string are sufficient to represent the values permitted in XMP.
There are a large number of values to consider and I was unable to reach
that part of my analysis for this post.

Given the number of values listed in the XMP document, I will compose
that analysis as an ODF document to submit to the TC.

Hope everyone is at the start of a great week!

Patrick@Durusau.net
Member, Text Encoding Initiative Board of Directors, 2003-2005