Subject: Re: [office] metadata and XMP (was: [office] metadata (OpenDocument TCMeeting Minutes ...))

Hi,

there are a number of points in your post, and I'd like to address them
in different threads, so I start of with the XMP related ones and cover
the other topics in different posts...

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
 >> [Minutes...]
>> This mapping should also conform to the subset of the RDF data model
>> that XMP is using
>> The mapping should map some of the meta:-namespace properties to dcq
>> properties if there are appropriate ones available.
>
> These two are not consistent, as XMP notably does not use DCQ. For
> example xmp:dateCreated vs. dcq:created, xmp:dateModified vs.
> dcq:modified, etc.
>
> Also, as I say in a couple places below, I'm not convinced XMP should be
> the framework here. It's enough at this stage to just say that we're
> dealing with the property mapping (a different issue than the model or
> syntax).

This XMP/dcq redundancy (and others) is indeed something we need to find
a way of dealing with.

I am also not saying, that XMP should be the framework. However, I
belive, that the default metadata model can be mapped to an RDF model
that is consistent with the subset of RDF that can be modeled by XMP.
That way, an XMP enabled application could use the metadata in an
OpenDocument file (the mapping would need to be implemented in the XMP
framework for this to work).

 > [...]
> The reason why I say phase 2 will be difficult is that I don't think XMP
> is acceptable as is. ODF has needs (and opportunities) for which I don't
> thinK XMP was designed.  I'd rather not get wrapped up debating these
> technical details and lose the forest for the trees (that we need to
> expand metadata beyond the document).

I share these concerns, mostly because I am also a strong beliver in the
usefulness of attaching statements of metadata to individual parts of a
document. The syntactic way in which that can be done does not matter
that much to me.

One of the things that I like about XMP is, that it is out there and
actually being used. So as I stated above: while I don't think that XMP
as it is today should be the normative framework for OpenDocument
metadata, I would very much like to see the XMP framework to be able to
use as much of the metadata in an OpenDocument file as possible.

E.g. if a document management system has build in support for XMP, you
can use the XMP data in your PDF documents stored in that system. If the
XMP framework was able to use the metadata (at least the part that is
attached to the whole document) in an OpenDocument file, you could use
OpenDocument as a storage format in the system just like you would do
with PDF. A user could then use OpenDocument for files that are in the
edit-cycle and use PDF for published documents. Plus, the metadata of an
OpenDocument file wo0uld also be usable in its PDF version.

--
Lars Oppermann <lars.oppermann@sun.com>               Sun Microsystems
Software Engineer - StarOffice                           Sachsenfeld 4