Subject: Re: [office] Proposed TC Meeting Agenda Items

Bruce,

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> On Jan 18, 2006, at 5:53 AM, Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 -
> Hamburg wrote:
>
>> If the meeting takes places in Hamburg, I'm quite sure that we will be
>> able to provide dial-in facilities for those who can not attent in
>> person. Therefore you should be able to participate.
>

> [...]
>
>> I'm not sure about this. I think the main issue we have with the meta
>> data discussions is that we don't have a clear picture what we want to
>> achieve. For that reason, it is difficult if not impossible to figure
>> out whether the proposals that we have or may receive meet our
>> objectives. That's why I think that we first should care about these
>> objectives.
>

> I think that's reasonable, but there's a contradiction in the way you've
> proposed to address defining those objectives. On one hand, you assert
> this needs to be done in person. On the other, when I tell you it's not
> realistic for me to be able to make it to Hamburg, you say I can call
> in.  If we accept your first point, then my role in the discussion
> becomes marginal.

I think there are two advantages that a discussion of this topic at a
face-to-face has. The first is that we meet in person rather than by
phone. The second advantage is that we can reserve more time for the
discussions as we have in a con call.

So, it would be a pity if you cannot attend to the face-to-face in
person, but I think the time advantage still exists.

I also think that we will do our best to involve you in the discussions
even if you dial-in, because we know that you are very interested in
this topic.

> E.g. I go back to my original point: is it really necessary to tie
> discussion of the metadata objectives to a face-to-face? Or can those be
> separate issues?

Some discussions probably may take place at our email-list, but I think
a face-to-face, and the time that we have at such a meeting, may help us
to come to an agreement.