Subject: Re: [office] Formula subcommittee - olive branch?

robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:

> "David A. Wheeler" <dwheeler@dwheeler.com> wrote on 02/02/2006 09:48:15 PM:
>
>  > But I think we should put out an olive branch and TRY to make it
>  > possible to work together in the future....

> This is OASIS and our front door is always open <g>.

I see your grin, but I think that's EXACTLY true.
Sometimes those outside forget that. I think a clear statement that
it's STILL true would be a good idea.

> Unfortunately, in today's litigious world, I'm not sure we can just
> informally sit down and talk with other organizations and exchange
> pieces of specifications like we're trading baseball cards.

Actually, I was hoping that they would choose to NOT create
their own specification for formulas, and instead, join with us.
I see no reason to help and encourage the creation of TWO standards.
Ugh.  My notion of a liaison was that they'd send some HERE,
for example.  I can't prevent them from creating another
separate specification, but we can try to convince them
that it's not NECESSARY if their goal is an open standard.

>  Keeping ODF
> free and open to implementors and users requires that we are vigilant as
> to where the material for the specification is coming from, and that all
> contributors have signed on to the IPR policies, etc.

100% agree.  I'm VERY sensitive to make sure that EVERYONE can
implement the result, it's the fundamental goal.

> So, since OASIS is (or soon will be)the home of OpenFormula, I think the
> easiest and most direct way of getting the sharing to happen would be
> for an ECMA TC45 member to join the Formula Subcommittee.

Yes.  Agree.

 > Perhaps an informal olive branch directly to
> TC45 would be well received?  There is no IPR issue at all in letting
> them know that we're forming a formula subcommittee and that we would
> welcome their participation.  Again, you don't need anyone's approval on
> the TC to do that, but you would have my support.

I think that's a very good idea.  Unless there's an objection,
I'll send such an email (we don't know who's subcommittee chair,
but since I'm a TC member, I can certainly send an invitation
in that capacity). It can't hurt to be polite.

I don't want to wait for Godot.  But if they're interesting in
joining the bus, I'd like to see that the seats are warm.

--- David A. Wheeler