Subject: Re: [office] Fw: [office-accessibility] Inclusion of tables in the .odpprofile for presentations

Wonderful. I would like to propose that we include it in Presentations as part of the accessibility extensions - although the benefit is beyond accessibility.

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Chair, IBM Accessibility Architecture Review Board
blog: http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/dw_blog.jspa?blog=441

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.", Frost

Inactive hide details for Yue MA <mayue@cn.ibm.com>Yue MA <mayue@cn.ibm.com>

          Yue MA <mayue@cn.ibm.com>

          02/22/2006 10:15 AM

office@lists.oasis-open.org, office-accessibility@lists.oasis-open.org

cc

Subject

[office] Fw: [office-accessibility] Inclusion of tables in the .odp profile for presentations

In spec, "8 Tables" it said "This chapter describes the table structure that is used for tables that are embedded within text documents and for spreadsheets." and in ODF schema, a draw:page does not contain a table:table element, which means users can not insert a table to a presentation page directly as they do in text document. I think an easy way for user to insert a table in Presentation is very useful.

thx,

Ma Yue,
CSDL Workplace Client Technology, IBM China Software Development Lab
E_Mail:mayue@cn.ibm.com Tel: 86-10-82782244 ext 2739, Fax: 86-10-82782244-2887
Address: 2/F, DeShi Building, No.9, East Road, ShangDi, Haidian District, Beijing 100085, PRC

----- Forwarded by Yue MA/China/IBM on 2006-02-23 00:09 -----

                  Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>

                  2006-02-22 23:53

"michael.brauer@sun.com" <michael.brauer@sun.com>
cc

Peter.Korn@sun.com, office-accessibility@lists.oasis-open.org, Robert Weir <robert_weir@us.ibm.com>
Subject

[office-accessibility] Inclusion of tables in the .odp profile for presentations

Michael,

I am in the accessibility subteam for ODF.

The accessibility subteam has discovered that ODF uses SVG to render tables in presentations for some office implementations of ODF 1.0. This is not an accessible solution.

We would like to propose adding an ODF Table (found in writer) to presentations but it is not available in the profile. We will be converting other file formats to .odp and they will have tables. Is there a reason that .odp cannot inculde an ODF Table? Note: we understand that a spreadsheet can be embedded but this is extremely heavy weight. Are there technical restrictions?

Tables are accessible because the provide structure and semantics. Authors can add headers for rows and columns to orient the user.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Chair, IBM Accessibility Architecture Review Board
blog:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/dw_blog.jspa?blog=441

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.", Frost

GIF image