Subject: meta data

A very big thank you to Patrick Durusau for taking the chair of the OpenDocument meta data sub committee.

The most challenging task will be the classification of all different use cases, as they arrive from anywhere. I would like to illustrate my own personal use case too.

Consider e.g. you want to mark a text as Important. Speaking in meta data I would like to be able to make a statement like

(reference-to-text, myns:mark, "Important").

Encoded in OpenDocument this could look like

                          myns:mark="Important" xmlns:myns="http://sample.org/"/>

<text:span text:style-name="T1">metadata</text:span>

or

<text:span text:style-name="T1">
 <myns:mark>Important</myns:mark>
</text:span>

or even

<rdf:RDF>
<fo:font-weight rdf:about="text::T1">bold</fo:font-weight>
<myns:mark rdf:about="text::T1">Important</myns:mark>
</rdf:RDF>

which in my opinion are just different encodings of the statements

(reference-to-text, myns:mark, "Important")

and

(reference-to-text, fo:font-weight, "bold").

Attached is a picture of how this might look like in OpenOffice.org Writer.

JPEG image