Subject: Re: [office] style name uniqueness (Re: [office] OpenDocument TC Meeting Minutes 2006-01-09 and 2005-12-19)

On Sunday 12 March 2006 01:43, Patrick Durusau wrote:
> David Faure wrote:
> >Yes, I just hit a problem with a document (generated by OOo upon reading from a .doc)
> >where a text style and a paragraph style have the same name.
> >Can we also include in the future version of the spec that style
> >names should be unique across style families as well?
> >

> Err, ODF 1.0 already says:
>
> ***
> The style:name attribute identifies the name of the style. This
> attribute, combined with the
> style:family attribute, uniquely identifies a style. The <office:styles>,
> <office:automatic-styles> and <office:master-styles> elements each must not
> contain two styles with the same family and the same name.
> ***

OK, so the spec is not unclear, but it's still cumbersome to implement IMHO.

> Does the name of your style plus the style family attribute fail to
> uniquely identify the style?

It does. But it would be so much simpler if the family wasn't needed to uniquely
identify a style. Of course I have adjusted my implementation now, so the problem
is 'solved for me', but I still think that things would be easier if this wasn't needed
(and any OpenDocument file generated by KOffice will have unique style names
even across families).