Subject: Re: [office] Fwd: [odf-devel] ODF & ITS

Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net> wrote on 03/20/2006 10:55:44 AM:

> Bruce,
>
> Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
>

> > On Mar 20, 2006, at 3:57 AM, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> >
> >> Should we talk to them? Is this relevant to the metadata SC?
> >

> > My personal opinion is this is outside the scope of ODF. It seems to
> > me their use cases are a) schemas, and b) non-GUI document markup,
> > particularly DocBook; e.g. not GUI-based formats.
> >
> While I tend to agree that their goal is outside the scope of ODF, is
> there a use case for putting in a hook where this sort of "metadata"
> could be included?

At first glance, it appears that no changes are required to use ITS with ODF.  Section 1.5 of ODF 1.0 specifically allows the addition of attributes in foreign namespaces.  So, any editor is free to generate ITS tags automatically, based on styles, via a UI, etc.

However, doing so does not really facilitate the interchange of ODF with ITS between editors, since it does not standardize which elements allow ITS tags.  We also have the issue of how ITS tags apply to our contained markup's like SVG, XForms, MathML, etc.  Someone needs to define how ITS applies to them.

Keep in mind that ODF is in the middle of the spectrum.  We're not DITA or DocBook.  And we're not PDF.  We have presentational aspects as well as structural and (with the metadata SC) an emerging requirement for semantic tagging.

Since ITS is still a W3C working draft, there is certain room for collaboration here.  IMHO, if a W3C TC is thinking about the impact of their draft standard on ODF, then this is a good thing and should be encouraged, perhaps by assigning a liaison to work with them.  This isn't among what I consider our immediate concerns, but is certainly something worth tracking for the longer term.