Subject: Re: [office] Presentation Table Revisit

Thanks Peter and Rich very much for your kind explanation. I understand, and we need patience sometimes.

If anyone is working on the native table solution, I would appreciate much if I can be informed of the progress. Thanks.

Helen Yue

Inactive hide details for Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>

          Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>

          07/19/2006 03:59 AM

Peter Korn <Peter.Korn@Sun.COM>

cc

office@lists.oasis-open.org, Peter.Korn@Sun.COM, Zhi Yu Yue/China/IBM@IBMCN

Subject

Re: [office] Presentation Table Revisit

Helen,

To elaborate:

The accessibility subteam wanted to have native tables for ODF 1.1. Many people at OASIS want tables to also be dynamic in that table entries would be tied dynamically to the server. It was felt that addressing these requirements and implementing them in time for the State of Mass. rollout was uncontainable for ODF 1.1.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Chair, IBM Accessibility Architecture Review Board
blog:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/schwer
Inactive hide details for Peter Korn <Peter.Korn@Sun.COM>Peter Korn <Peter.Korn@Sun.COM>

                  Peter Korn <Peter.Korn@Sun.COM>
                  Sent by: Peter.Korn@Sun.COM

                  07/18/2006 01:17 AM

Zhi Yu Yue <yuezhiyu@cn.ibm.com>
cc

office@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject

Re: [office] Presentation Table Revisit

Hi Helen,

We completely agree that we should make tables "native" for
presentations.  The issue is that (a) we want to not have any
deficiencies compared to MS-Office in ODF 1.1, and (b) we aren't 100%
certain we have everything right for native tables yet.

So, we decided that for ODF 1.1 we would simply use an embedded
spreadsheet for tables imported from Powerpoint slides.  In fact, this
isn't really an ODF 1.1 spec. change, since this is a perfectly legal
thing to do.  Rather, it is a recommendation for how imported tables
from Powerpoint should be encoded - something we plan to change in
StarOffice/OpenOffice.org until such time as we have our final
definition of tables in slides in ODF 1.2.

Does that help explain things?

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect,