Subject: [office] OpenDocument TC Work Call Minutes 2006-07-31

1. Dial-In, Roll Call

Members:
Nathaniel Borenstein, IBM
Yue Ma, IBM
Helen Yue, IBM
James Mason, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34
Michael Brauer, Sun Microsystems
Lars Oppermann, Sun Microsystems
Gary Edwards, The OpenDocument Foundation
David Wheeler, The OpenDocument Foundation

Observers:
Dhananjay Keskar, Intel

2. Minutes Approval, Action Items

This is the first work call after a period of coordination calls only.
there are no past minutes and action items.

3. SC status

Formula SC (DavidW)
recently posted comprehensive status report on list.
there was discussion about namespacing formulas and functions. We
decided to use DNS-like prefixes to qualify names rather than using XML
qnames inside attribute values which is not viewed as a good design.
The formula SC is currently working on the function definitions. We
could greatly accelerate this process, if more people would help to
write function definitions. We are asking everyone who could spare a few
cycles on such work to help us with this.
We are looking at ~300 functions that have to be defined for our first
version. These are a union of the functions provided in the most popular
spreadsheet applications and are thus a foundation for interoperability.

(Michael) should the TC review (and maybe approve) the syntax
specification since that is now finished?
(DavidW) There are a few issues remaining with naming and error
handling. We plan to have those resolved by next Thursday. We would
submit that version to the TC for review.

(Lars) how is the different calculation behavior of different
applications handled in the specification? E.g. automatic conversion of
text-content into numbers...
(DavidW) Especially automatic conversions are a very fragile feature, as
they tend to break with different locales (number formatting). We are
investigating to define 'calculation-settings' where such behavior can
be defined but there will be some documents, that are using undefined
implicit conversions in a way that they might not be interoperable.

(Michael) what is the current time-line?
(DavidW) we were aiming at finishing by September. Function definitions
are a lot of work and we are needing more people to work at those in
order to speed things up. Otherwise we will slip into October.

(Michael) we are currently planning ODF 1.2 for mid-2007. So it looks
like we will have a stable formula specification for that version for sure.

(Michael) will formulas be a separate document or should the eventually
be included into the main specification?
(DavidW) I think it makes sense to keep them separated.
(Michael) I concur, and it gives us more flexibility when planning releases
Are there any requirements from the formula SC for the main
specification of ODF?
(David) some minor changes/additions will be needed, e.g. description of
the equal-sign, calculation-settings (for text-number-conversion)

(Michael) all implementor should indicate if they are planning to
propose additions to 1.2 as early as possible.
I will also ask SC chairs to state their deliverables for 1.2 in order
to finalize the roadmap for 1.2

(Gary) is it possible to have a public review of the formula
specification without going though an OASIS voting afterwards
(Michael) yes, but I will re-check with OASIS (Mary) how we can best
handle this

4. Next Meeting:
coordination call: 2006-08-07, 3:00PM-4:00PM UTC