Subject: [office] OpenDocument TC Work Call Minutes 2006-08-14

1. Dial-In, Roll Call

Members:
Nathaniel Borenstein, IBM
Robert Weir, IBM
Yue Ma, IBM
Helen Yue, IBM
Patrick Durusau, Individual
Michael Brauer, Sun Microsystems
Lars Oppermann, Sun Microsystems
Gary Edwards, The OpenDocument Foundation
David Wheeler, The OpenDocument Foundation

Observers:
Dhananjay Keskar, Intel

2. Minutes Approval

The attending TC members unanimously accepted the minutes from the last
work call.

3. Action Items

- no action items

4. Unified Document Format (UOF)

(Rob) there is interest from users of UOF in China to harmonize ODF and
UOF. Maybe merging the features of both or improving interoperability.
Currently all the UOF work (spec, schema) is in Chinese language. It is
currently being translated to English.
I propose the formation of a sub-committee that asses the
interoperability and works out recommendations on how to best harmonize
the two formats. A bit like we did with A11Y.
(DavidW) this sounds like a sensible thing to do. I we might need a
similar effort for the MS schemas
(Nath) I think UOF is similar to ODF. It will take longer, since there
is more detail than with A11Y
(Rob) UOF originally intended to submit their format to ISO as a third
standard for office documents...
(Michael) Doing the analyzes in a SC is a good idea. We need an initial
assessment on the differences of the two formats in order to come up
with a strategy on how to harmonize them.
(Lars) If UOF was to become able to express anything that UOF can
express, what would be the reason to have UOF at all?
(YueMa) The body format/structure of UOF is different from ODF
(Rob) I will try to identify the people from UOF that are interested in
this a propose a draft charter for a SC
(DavidW) I found a report from people working UOF, claiming that ODF
uses too many attributes and that UOF tries to use more elements. Not
sure what to make of that and what their problem with attributes is
I'd like to have more explanation of their design decisions...
(Michael) I'd very much like to support the formation of an SC for this.
We need to identify the members/chair and we need the UOF translation.
It is supposed to be finished in September
(DavidW) what would be the goal of the SC? Translation/transformation
between ODF and UOF or extension of ODF to be able to express UOF features?
(Rob) don't know whether they just want interop, or whether they might
be even looking  for ODF 2.0 to become the next UOF
(Michael) We must gain an understanding of the differences of the two
formats before we can embark on any such discussion.
(Rob) for the SC, we should use a two-phase approach like we did with
Metadata.

5. Comments for 1.1
(Michael) I am not aware of any non TC submissions, but as there were
mail server problems I will need to check the comment archives for any
postings
ACTION: Michael to check for comments on 1.1
(Michael) Comments I am currently aware of are
1. Daniel Carrera on change tracking and
2. Malte on an editorial error in the soft-page-breaks section

(Michael) I am not sure hwo we decide whther those changes would be
substantial or not
(Lars) I assume that the TC needs to decide whether any changes are
significant or not. We should use transparent criteria to do this.
(Michael) The comments already contain proposals. I will summarize those
so that we can decide on their inclusion and significance in the next
coordination call.

ACTION: Michael to summarize 1.1 comments

6. New Action Items
ACTION: Michael to check for comments on 1.1
ACTION: Michael to summarize 1.1 comments

7. Next conference call

coordination call: 2006-08-21, 3:00PM-4:00PM UTC