Subject: Re: [office] what do mean by standard, and extensible?

First, "ODF" does not define what an open standard is.  A number of us, me included, regularly share ideas and thoughts and what this all means from a "Big Picture" standpoint, but these are just personal opinions and don't necessarily reflect the views of the ODF TC as a whole.  In the end ODF is exactly what is in the specification, no more, no less.

In any case, standardization and interoperability are two related but distinct questions.  It is possible to have a complete specification but still lack interoperable implementations.  And it is possible to have interoperable implementations even in the absence of a complete specification.

Or look at it another way -- what causes interoperability problems?  It could be missing pieces in the specification.  But it could also be ambiguous specification, erroneous specification, implementation defects, partial implementations by design, etc.  When interoperability is achieved, it comes from cycles of compliance testing which lead to detecting and fixing defects in the specification, the implementations, as well as the test cases.

On the other hand, as we've seen with OpenOffice, sufficient effort on interoperability testing with MS Office, even in the absence of a public specification of Excel's formulas, has lead to a certain level of document interoperability.

Interoperability is a convergence of implementation behaviors that is fed from many information sources, including specifications, compliance testing, interoperability testing, etc.  The more sources of information, the better.  The ideal is an open standard, with a multi-vendor effort at compliance testing, which benefits the specification as well as the implementations.

As to extensibility, that is the X in XML.  No need to apologize for that.  Something to keep in mind is that  some statements in a markup specification act to constrain or limit what the application can express, while others statements act to coordinate how an application records what they did choose to express.  So, the HTML standard enumerating a fixed set of form input controls limits compliant implementations to those controls, while the same specification requiring  an RGB color model specifies the encoding, but doesn't limit which colors can be expressed (at least within the color gamut of CRT's).

So there is some art to writing a specification as to what degree of constraint versus coordination one wishes to enforce.   Overconstrain and you end up with something inflexible and therefore less relevant.  I think the Word's "art borders" in OOXML can be held up as example of something which is overconstrained to the detriment of the specification  (http://www.robweir.com/blog/2006/07/game-of-zendo.html).

Of course, having a specification which allows everything but mandates nothing won't work either.   The best we can do is aim for the sweet spot that does what most people want and then have extension points (coordinating statements) in the specification so that implementations do what they must.

-Rob

Rob Weir
Software Architect
IBM Software Group