Subject: Re: [office] Fwd: ODF spec question (white-space processing)

David,

David Faure wrote:

> Note that this would indeed be "collapsing" (to a single space), instead of removing.
> The spec does talk about collapsing, not about removing.

Well, the sentence you are refering to continues with "they [white-space
characters] are collapsed, in other words they are processed in the same way
that [HTML4] processes them"

The term "collapsed" may be a little bit unprecise here, but the essential
information is that they are processed as in HTML.

>>>Actually, HTML does no such thing. Neither the HTML spec nor actual
>>>HTML browsers remove existing whitespace behind a start element tag.
>>
>>What browser are you using? At least my Mozilla as well as Firefox doesn't
>>display them.
>

> Mozilla does keep one space after a start element, in my tests:
>        Foo<span>          bar</span>
>
> This shows "Foo bar" in mozilla (and in konqueror), as I expected,
> and not "Foobar".
> White space is collapsed, not removed.

It seems that we are mixing the start and end tags of paragraphs and of
markup inside a paragraph here.

The inital example refers to the paragraph start tag <text:p>. Here, the
white space characters in fact are removed. Mozilla does the same with <p>
tags, so OpenDocument (and also OOo) behave like HTML here.

Your example is about start tags within a paragraph. Here, not only Mozilla
but also OpenDocument (and OOo) keep a single space. This is defined by the
OpenDocument specification as follows: "The preceding character can be
contained in the same element, in the parent element, or in the preceding
sibling element, as long as it is contained within the same paragraph element
and the element in which it is contained processes white-space characters as
described above."

So, I think we are actually on the same page.

>>Well, the intention behind the white-space processing rules is to allow
>>authors to pretty-print paragraph text. HTML is used as an archetype here,
>>because its rules do work very well in practice. It may be that we could find
>>some better wording for the relation of the OpenDocument white space
>>processing rules to HTML, but IMHO it is consistent with the HTML
>>specification to ignore white space characters at the paragraph start.
>

> But HTML doesn't do that, and therefore OpenDocument shouldn't do it either.

What do you think HTML is not doing? In your above example, white-space
characters are collapsed like in OpenDocument.

And if I try,

in my Mozilla, it does not display a space character in front of the "Foo" -
just like in OpenDocument. Is your Mozilla behaving different?

In any case, I think it is very convenient to give authors the possibility to
add a line break behind the opening tag of a paragraph without influencing
the layout of the document. Paragraph start tags may get very long. I
personally wouln't like it if I would have to add a paragraph's first word
always immediately behind the start tag.