Subject: Re: [office] Fwd: ODF spec question (white-space processing)

On 11/09/06, David Faure <faure@kde.org> wrote:

> I am just not sure I fully understand your suggestion. If we keep the term "collapsed"
> and remove the reference to HTML, then we are basically deciding on the current
> KOffice behavior, i.e. <text:p> followed by spaces leaves one space visible - right?
> While I should probably be happy about that, when reading the Intel testcases I did
> realize that many people writing XML by hand will probably do the same as they did,
> and write
>    <text:p>
>          My paragraph text
>    </text:p>
> which in their mind shouldn't lead to whitespace before and after the text
> (text:s should be used for that).

If ODF is an XML application then follow the XML rules, not HTML ones.
JC used a trick to make it look pretty without modifying whitespace.

<text:p
>My paragraph text</text:p>

> So, to be clear, I'm happy with the OpenOffice.org behavior, but it should be made
> explicit in the specification. Not by talking about HTML, but by writing "any whitespace
> at the beginning or end of a paragraph is removed" or something like that.

XSLT uses the phrase 'normalize'
http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath#section-String-Functions

quote

The normalize-space function returns the argument string with
whitespace normalized by stripping leading and trailing whitespace and
replacing sequences of whitespace characters by a single space.
Whitespace characters are the same as those allowed by the S
production in XML.

end quote.

HTH

--