Subject: Re: [office] Fwd: ODF spec question (white-space processing)

On Monday 11 September 2006 21:39, Daniel Vogelheim wrote:
> [... example ...]
> > <text:p>
> >         My paragraph text
> > </text:p>
>
> I am curious as to whether those same people would expect the
> following to not have any whitespace, too:
>
>   <text:p>
>     <text:span>
>         My paragraph text
>     </text:span>
>   </text:p>
>
> Which, according to absolutely everybody :), it seems, will have
> whitespace.

Yes. Just like the equivalent HTML code would do (with e.g. <b> instead of <text:span>).

I think most people would use <text:span> like <b> in HTML, i.e. inline in the paragraph text,
without newlines or indentation. So the perceived inconsistency between the above two
examples is a bit academical, in real life I think it's fine.

And of course what matters most is a clear spec and compliant implementations; if all
implementations behave the same then there is no surprise.