Subject: Re: [office] white-space processing proposal

On 21/09/06, Lars Oppermann <Lars.Oppermann@sun.com> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> The XML 1.1 recommendation [1] gives the following definition:
> "A software module called an XML processor is used to read XML documents
> and provide access to their content and structure".
> And "It is assumed that an XML processor is doing its work on behalf of
> another module, called the application".
> The XML 1.1 spec is about the behavior of XML processors (e.g. parsers)
> not applications using such processors.

So an ODF implementation doesn't read XML documents
and provide access to their content and structure?

I think they are. Just because Michael won't specify it fully
and implementors have ignored this doesn't change a fact.

> However, while white-space are a part of the XML info-set, they are not
> in the same way part of the info-set represented in OpenDocument, which
> uses them as word delimiters like HTML (or Lisp).

Which implies no XML app is interested in ws? ws isn't a word delimiter
in all cases. Even in the HTML world.
I wonder why they have xml:space='preserve' ?

 There is no
> requirement for an OpenDocument editor to be an XML editor. It would be
> counter productive in my view to enforce such a notion and I believe
> that most implementors would agree with me on that.

Sorry, I'm a user, not an implementor. I thought it was for users.

> Henceforth, this would imply, that for an OpenDocument application the
> fragments
> <text:p>  this  is  the   first    fragment</text:p>
> <text:p>this is the first fragment</text:p>
> are equal and an ODF application should interpret them as such.

That's a view.
It is one I disagree with.

regards

--