Subject: Re: [office] white-space processing proposal

Dave,

The ODF specification is quite clear about the meaning of white space in
text content. in 5.1.1, it is stated that they are to be collapsed.
There was discussion as to what this means for white-space at the
paragraph beginning but that has been resolved by the TC. The
specification furthermore defines the test:s element to represent
sequences of white-space.

If I understand you correctly, you are trying to make a case, that
collapsing white space in the visual representation is nice and fine,
but that there should be a requirement for implementors to retain any
whitespace in the physical representation. You base this requirement on
the definition of an XML processor in the W3C XML 1.1 recommendation.

White-space in ODF context has no semantic meaning beyond that of a word
delimiter. Hence, I am opposed to requiring ODF implementations to honor
it in any way beyond that.

You are mentioning xml:space. XML 1.1, 2.10 states that "A special
attribute named xml:space may be attached to an element to signal an
intention that in that element, white space should be preserved by
applications". Please note the use of MAY and SHOULD here. Hence, there
is no requirement for an XML application (or schema) to declare
xml:space or use it.

I would like to draw a clear line here between an XML editor and an ODF
editor. I am opposed to requiring that an ODF editor is an XML editor
too. The OpenDocument Charter [1] states "The purpose of this TC is to
create an open, XML-based file format specification for office
applications". I don't see, where making the physical representation in
the XML part of the specification has any merit for office applications,
when that physical representation has no semantic meaning whatsoever. If
there is such a use-case, I'd like to hear about it.

Bests,
Lars

--
Lars Oppermann <lars.oppermann@sun.com>               Sun Microsystems
Software Engineer                                         Nagelsweg 55