Subject: Re: [office] ODF with W3C CDF

Yue Ma, all,

Yue MA wrote:
> In current ODF spec, the SVG, SMIL and XForm are using ODF specific
> namespace instead of formal W3C namespace. That means when we say ODF

The reason we are using our own namespaces for SVG, SMIL and XSL-FO are
not validation problems, but that these specifications do not contain
schema modules that we may include. In particular, they do not define
global attributes, but all attributes do only exist for specific
elements. Since we do not include these elements, and we can't do so, we
cannot include their attributes. Actually, we used the SVG, SMIL and
XSL-FO namespaces themselves in early versions of the specification, but
we were asked by the SVG working group to change that.

We actually are using the XForms namespace, but we have duplicated the
schema definitions, because the XForms schema is a W3C Schema, while we
require Relax-NG. We in fact may evaluate whether the use of NVDL allows
us to change that. NVDL may be also an option to reference the MathML
schema. The current specification actually allows anything where MathML
may appear. I think we had shortly discussed that some time ago already.

Regarding the relation of NDL to NDVL: To the best of my knowledge, NVDL
is the result of standardizing NRL at SC34.

I will add an "Evaluation of NVDL" to the 1.2 action item list on the wiki.

Michael Brauer                                Phone:  +49 40 23646 500
Technical Architect Software Engineering      Fax:    +49 40 23646 550
StarOffice Development
Sun Microsystems GmbH
Nagelsweg 55
D-20097 Hamburg, Germany                e-mail: michael.brauer@sun.com