Subject: Re: [office] Index, Combining Entries, pp and passim

Dave,

Dave Pawson wrote:

> On 16/11/06, Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net> wrote:
>
>> "An index mark for the word "XML" occurs on pages 45, 46, 47, and
>> 48...."
>>
>> Which is given as:
>>
>> "XML 45pp"
>>
>> That doesn't look right so I checked in the 15th Edition of the Chicago
>> Manual of Style,
>

> If you could name a reference that applies equally to all nations
> I guess that would apply.

I don't know of any reference that applies to all nations but,
conceptually I don't see how scattered references to XML on pages 45,
46, 47, 48 could be represented as "XML 45pp" given the absence of an
end point for the references.

I don't doubt that other indexing systems exist for denoting ranges that
contain references for an index entry. I would be interested in learning
of any widely used system that denotes a range of references with only
the starting point of the range.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick@Durusau.net
Member, Text Encoding Initiative Board of Directors, 2003-2005