Subject: Version Attribute Proposal

Dear TC members,

The version attribute in section 1.2.1 is currently defined as

 > All root elements take an office:version attribute, which indicates
 > which version of this specification it complies with. The version
 > number is in the format revision.version. If the file has a version
 > known to an XML processor, it may validate the document. Otherwise, it
 > is optional to validate the document, but the document must be well
 > formed.
 >
 > <define name="office-document-common-attrs" combine="interleave">
 >	<optional>
 >		<attribute name="office:version">
 >			<ref name="string"/>
 >		</attribute>
 >	</optional>
 > </define>

Dave (Pawson) noticed that the attribute is optional, and that ODF 1.2
document therefore may not identify themselves as such. I agree to him
that the version attribute should be mandatory for ODF 1.2 documents,
and therefore propose that we change the description and schema as follows:

 > All root elements take an office:version attribute, which indicates
 > which version of this specification it complies with.
 >
 > An application that stores a document conforming to this application
 > *shall* use the attribute value "1.2".

op> <define name="office-document-common-attrs" combine="interleave">
 >   <optional>
 >     <attribute name="office:version" a:defaultValue="1.1">
 >       <choice>
 >         <value>1.0</value>
 >         <value>1.1</value>
 >         <value>1.2</value>
 >         <ref name="string">
 >            <param name="pattern">[1-9]+\.[0-9]+</param>
 >         </ref>
 >       </choice>
 >     </attribute>
 >   </optional>
 > </define>

Some notes:
- In order to achieve that ODF 1.0/1.2 remain valid ODF 1.2 instances, I
   have kept the attribute optional in the schema. The description
   however states that the attribute actually is mandatory for ODF 1.2
   documents.
- I have kept the possibility to use arbitrary version numbers in the
   schema. This shall allow to validate future document against the
   schema, if they don't use any new features. I'm not sure we need that.
- I have removed the sentences regarding validation, because it is
   obvious and not specific to OpenDocument that documents could be
   validated.

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS