Subject: Re: [office] Version Attribute Proposal

I agree with that we make the attribute "office:version" mandatory. It should be helpful for ODF processor to handle ODF documents in the long run. However it seems strange to me that the schema still make it optional while the spec says that it is required for 1.2.

Helen Yue

"Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@gmail.com>

11/25/2006 10:38 PM

cc
Subject
Re: [office] Version Attribute Proposal

On 25/11/06, Michael Brauer <Michael.Brauer@sun.com> wrote:
> >> Some notes:
> >> - In order to achieve that ODF 1.0/1.2 remain valid ODF 1.2 instances, I
> >>    have kept the attribute optional in the schema. The description
> >>    however states that the attribute actually is mandatory for ODF 1.2
> >>    documents.
> >
> > I don't agree with keeping it optional.
> > That would imply forward compatibility, which is clearly impossible to
> > operate.
> > If that is wanted, I'd suggest wording as used in XSLT from W3C.
> > If a processor for version X meets a version >X then its response is
> > undefined.
>
> Isn't the situation I'm describing "If a processor for version X meets a
> version <X"? What I want to achieve with keeping the version attribute
> optional is that if a 1.2 processor validates a 1.0 or 1.1 document
> against the 1.2 schema, that it then does not get validation errors.

For me, asking that a 1.0 document is valid to 1.2 is not practical.
I don't want to follow what M$ do.

If a 1.0 ODF document had the version, I could 'transform' it into 1.2
(maybe), then work with it.

This is exactly the reason that it should not be optional Michael.
So that a processor knows what to do with a 'different' version to the one
it is expecting.
If no version is present, how can I guess what verison it is?

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.