Subject: Re: [office] Proposal for language tags according to RFC 4646

Hi Michael,

On Monday, 2006-12-04 15:13:04 +0100, Michael Brauer wrote:

> Since we started using the XSL-FO concept, I think it's reasonable to
> continue with that. This also ensures compatibility with ODF 1.1
> applications, that would use all language/country information when
> reading an ODF 1.2 file if we switch to a single RFC 4646 attribute now.
>
> I'v checked XSL 1.1, which is a proposed recommendation, and it only has
> language, country and script, too. We could take the script attribute
> from there,

XSL 1.1 narrows language/country to RFC 3066, which formally covers only
ISO 639-1 and ISO 639-2 and IANA-registered languages, and does not
cover the upcoming ISO/FDIS 639-3 nor other language designators that
might be valid according to RFC 4646. I don't know whether that is
really an obstacle and would affect us or not, just want to mention.

> and could add a single attribute from our own namespaces
> that contains the
>
> [region] *("-" variant) *("-" extension) ["-" privateuse]
> fragment of RFC 4646.

Note that the region is (most times? always? need to reread RFC 4646)
the country.

  Eike