Subject: Re: [office] Re: [office-comment] Different Versions in ODF

Hi David,

David Faure wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 December 2006 02:27, Josh Rickmar wrote:
>> In newer versions of ODF, can you add the option of saving multiple
>> versions of the same file in the same file, so ODF users can roll-back
>> to any saved version without losing a separate file?  I think this would
>> be handy, since I wouldn't have to always be using the "Save As" button
>> to make another separate file for all my different versions.  I could
>> instead just save the separate versions in the same file name, and then
>> could decide which to open when I open the file.
>
> This is a good point. Although OpenOffice.org has this feature, it is not part
> of the standard. The metadata is saved in another file, VersionList.xml:
>
> <VL:version-list xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"; xmlns:VL="http://openoffice.org/2001/versions-list";>
>   <VL:version-entry VL:title="Version1" VL:comment="david" VL:creator="" dc:date-time="2006-12-06T15:46:39"/>
> </VL:version-list>
>
> and the actual saved document is saved as Versions/Version1 (as a full zip archive inside the zip archive).
> Interesting approach... I'm not sure why the xml files of version1 are not just stored inside Versions/Version1/
> instead of the zip-inside-zip approach. Comments anyone?

You are right that this OOo feature is not contained in ODF 1.1, but we
may of course add it as part of the package definition for ODF 1.2.

A zip within zip is used because this allows extracting the versioned
document without repackaging it. Repackaging the document would require
to rebuild a manifest.xml.