Subject: Re: [office] Re: [office-comment] Re: my comments on the numberingspec proposal discussed by David F. andFlorian R.

Hi,

The original ODF list concept is that we have <text:list> elements in the content, and a
list style. Each list has its own numbering. That is, if I have two <text:list> elements
they both start with 1. When using <text:list> elements the list styles only specifies the
layout of the list. The lists themselves are identified by <text:list> elements, but not
by the style name. The only problem we have is that we cannot change the style within a
list. The style:overwrite attribute that has been proposed would solve this.

We later introduced <text:numbered-paragraph> elements. The problem we face here is that
we don't have a <text:list> element, and therefore no way to decide to which list (or
numbering) they belong. One option would be to define that they all belong to the same
numbering, and to add an attribute that starts the numbering at a certain paragraph. Other
options are to re-use the list-style, or to use list-ids. I don't have a clear opinion
what is the best solution, but I think it is a different issue than the one for the list
elements, and we should discuss it independent of it.

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> On Dec 11, 2006, at 9:53 AM, David Faure wrote:
>
>> One could certainly define two styles L1 and L2 that both use a/b/c/d,
>> but this isn't about style anymore then, it's about identifying lists,
>
> Exactly right, and I want to underline this conceptual point, even if I
> don't have a lot to say about the specifics.
>
>> and this is what I propose to separate out into list-id.
>
> As I mentioned before, this is a general issue it seems to me, and I'd
> want any solution here to at least recognize that.
>
> Consider the fact that one cannot now include lists or blockquotes or
> whatever within a paragraph, despite the fact they are almost always
> conceptually connected (in the sense that a user typically understands
> them to be).
>
> The business of list numbering and its relation to the identity of lists
> is the same underlying issue.
>
> I''d also like to point out that I'm increasingly seeing the impulse to
> stretch the style concept beyond what I'd call it's proper role. So
> before we do that, can someone define exactly what styles are and ought
> to be in ODF?
>
> I'd say they define a class of content type, to which presentational
> information may -- and typically is -- attached.
>
> They DO NOT identify any particular instance of a such a class.
>
> Bruce

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS