Subject: Re: [office] Suggested ODF1.2 items

Hi Bruce,

the problem here is that we need to be able to encode documents like

~Florian

>>> Bruce D'Arcus <bruce.darcus@OpenDocument.us> 12/11/06 3:45 PM >>>
I never weighed in on this suggestion of Florian's, in part because it
relates to on-going discussions at the metadata SC, but since I recall
there's some discussion of these suggestions going on now-ish ...

On Nov 20, 2006, at 11:03 AM, Florian Reuter wrote:

> Fields:
> * enhance field support by introducing a <text:field-start/> and a
> <text:field-end/> element to which metadata can be attached.

I think before we get specific about that, I'd agree we need one (or
more) generic metadata fields.

The start/end approach seems potentially dangerous to me (how do you
handle well-formedness if the field spans across the end of a content
node?), but my more important concern is that the field (or at least
one of them) consist of two distinct structures: structure and
presentation.  E.g. Daniel Vogelheim and I settled on a structure like
this for the citation field:

field
	source
	body

If you're concerned about interop with OOXML, they also do something
similar (though encode all of the "source" in a single attribute, which
I think a bad design choice).

Bruce